Are you in need of some work on your HVAC system? The first step is to choose a contractor who can reliably complete the work at a reasonable price. If you don’t already have an ongoing relationship with an HVAC contractor in your area, it’s important to spend some time researching the available options so you can select a company you can trust to get the job done right.
Here’s a quick overview of how to choose an HVAC contractor in Duluth, MN and some of the most important traits you should look for in your search:
- Experience: One of the best ways to ensure you’re getting a contractor who can be trusted to perform high-quality work is to choose a contractor with an established track record in your area. Experience includes years of service in their field, as well as certifications they’ve earned that showcase their expertise and quality. Make sure that experience comes in the specific type of work you’re looking for. If you have particular needs for environmentally-friendly HVAC, for example, it’s important to make sure the contractor has experience in that area.
- Licenses: You should never work with an unlicensed contractor. There might be some contractors who say they’re licensed but are actually working without one, so you should always ask to see proof of licensure. A license shows that a contractor is actually qualified to do their work, which is particularly important when it comes to HVAC, since you’re dealing with gas lines and electrical utilities.
- Evaluations: Any HVAC contractor you work with should offer home evaluations before doing any significant work. They should analyze your entire home and provide a written, itemized estimate for any work that would be done. Factors in this evaluation should include quality of insulation, square footage, number of windows, duct systems (and any leaks) and the current system installed.
- References: Always look for references or referrals when searching for an HVAC contractor. A high-quality contractor will have plenty of satisfied customers who are willing to speak to the quality of their services. You can find these reviews or testimonials on their website, or by using third-party sites like Google or Yelp. You should also ask around to friends and family, who will be happy to refer you to contractors with whom they have had positive experiences. Insights from actual customers can be very useful in helping you choose a contractor to work with.
- Price: While the bids you get shouldn’t be the sole factor you use to make your decision, they can certainly help when you need a tiebreaker. Just remember that lower price doesn’t always mean a better decision—if one bidder comes in significantly lower than other competitors, there could well be a reason for this, and you could end up having to pay more for long-term maintenance, repairs or reinstallation.
For more information about how to choose an HVAC contractor in Duluth, MN, contact ASP with any questions you have for our team. We’d be glad to tell you all about our services and what we can do for your home.