When you’re installing a new HVAC system, it’s important to make sure the work comes with a warranty or guarantee. This gives you some important financial protection in the event something goes wrong with the job or an accident occurs.
Before you agree to move forward with a bid, be sure to spend some time looking over the included warranties to make sure you have sufficient protection, and so you can limit out-of-pocket expenses if repairs or replacement become necessary. What exactly makes for a high-quality guarantee with your HVAC? Here are a few of the most important items to look for in an HVAC guarantee in Duluth, MN:
- General terms: First and foremost, check the general, overall terms offered by the warranty. The most important consideration here will be how long the warranty is good for. HVAC systems are capable of lasting up to 20 years in most cases, so a good manufacturer should cover the product for more than just a couple years to give you appropriate protection. Keep in mind that “lifetime” warranties may or may not cover the costs of labor during the entire life of the product—it might only do so for the first couple years, so make sure you review the terms carefully.
- Extended warranty: You might have the option to purchase an extended warranty, which could add five or more years to the original terms. Make sure you carefully read through the terms of extended warranties before you make a decision, including when coverage would begin and requirements for repairs, including wait times. Be wary of representatives being overly pushy about extended warranties—this could indicate that they use low-quality equipment.
- Parts warranties: In some cases, specific parts of the system might have their own warranties. In other cases, the warranty might cover large components but not smaller, specific parts that require regular maintenance, including air filters and fan belts. Make sure you understand what is and is not covered under the terms of any warranty that’s offered with the equipment.
- Check the paperwork: A trustworthy HVAC dealer and contractor will offer their own warranties on labor, and won’t be afraid to stand behind their work. This will protect customers in the event the unit gets damaged during installation. Look for 100 percent money-back guarantees.
- Avoid mistakes: It’s surprisingly easy to accidentally void an HVAC guarantee in Duluth, MN by making simple mistakes, such as failing to register the product in a timely manner, not working with a licensed contractor to install the equipment or make any necessary repairs, not following an appropriate professional maintenance schedule, not keeping receipts from that maintenance and not using approved parts for replacement. Accidentally voiding a warranty could result in thousands of dollars in losses, so make sure you’re doing everything you need to do to keep the warranty in effect.
For more information about some of the elements of a high-quality warranty and what voids out a guarantee with HVAC work, we encourage you to contact the HVAC contractors in Duluth, MN at ASP. We look forward to hearing from you soon.