Every now and then, it’s important to clean out the water drain in your home. However, many homeowners do not realize that this is an important maintenance task to take on.
Your Duluth, MN home’s main water drain is a horizontal pipe you’ll typically find in a basement or cellar, which may in some cases be entirely underground. The drain will typically be made out of a heavy copper or cast iron, designed to stand up to years and years of use. This drain is tasked with carrying out all the water and debris from your home.
Here’s why it’s so important to have this drain cleaned on a regular basis (typically once a year or so):
- Fewer odors: Have you been having issues with bad smells coming from your house drain or from the plumbing in your home? This could very well be due to a clogged or filthy house drain. Sewer gas smells can be a major nuisance in your home and difficult to deal with if you don’t address the source of the problem. By regularly cleaning the drain, you’ll be better able to keep those smells at bay.
- Fewer clogs and blockages: Small clogs in your sink, toilet or shower will happen occasionally, and can usually be resolved with a plunger or commercial drain cleaner. However, when there are serious clogs in your home, you may need to call for professional drain cleaning services. These types of serious clogs are more likely to occur when you’ve let debris build up in the drain over a long period of time. The worse the blockages get, the more likely they are to cause leaks or bursts in your sewer lines, or overflows in your toilets or sinks. Avoid these issues by getting your drains cleaned.
- Lower expenses: Drain cleaning also serves as an opportunity to have a professional plumber inspect your sewer lines. The plumber handling your cleaning will be able to catch any issues with your drains or pipes early on, before they become extensive and expensive to fix. It’s always better to nip plumbing problems in the bud.
- Better cleanliness: Keeping your drain clean is a good idea simply for the additional cleanliness it offers your home. The water flowing through the sewer lines in your home carries a significant amount of bacteria, debris, waste and plenty of mystery items. All of these items can come up through the drains if you experience a blockage. Therefore, having those drains cleaned regularly prevents all that disgusting sludge from getting into your home, where it could damage your property and pose a risk to your family’s health.
- Cleaner outdoor areas: It’s not just the inside of your home that benefits from drain cleaning. Poor drainage systems or systems that are backed up can also overflow into the lawn, creating smelly standing water and potential erosion issues. If you’ve seen standing water or puddles around your home even when there hasn’t been rain, this likely indicates a drainage problem.
For more information about cleaning your water drain in Duluth, MN, contact ASP today.